One of the reasons we're named Athletes In Action is because we seek to put our faith into action in every area of our lives, both on the field and off the field. We've compiled some resources below on various 'life' topics to help you learn, investigate, understand, and apply your faith to all of life. Continue to check back her for updates, and please let us know if there are particular subjects or questions you'd like to see addressed.
Philosophy of Science
If we are to believe many modern speakers, science has placed God into a silo, killed and then buried him. We have been told that atheism is the only justifiable position, and any attempt to reintroduce God will more than likely delay any further development of science. In his book, God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God? by John Lennox, he encourages readers to consider these claims very carefully. Is it really true that everything in science points towards atheism? Could it be possible that theism aligns more with science than atheism? Has science buried God? This book is an essential contribution to the debate about science's relationship to religion.
Evolution & Creation
Genesis Apologetics, a non-profit organization, offers Biblically- and scientifically-based answers to the evolutionary theory that many of us were taught in public schools. This ministry provides practical video and products for pastors, parents, and students.
Below are several books aimed towards the controversy and argument between evolution and creation:
- Some of the best articles on singleness, dating, and marriage.
- More Than Single– Good insight, perspective, and advice on navigating singleness and relationships
- “God and Sex” by Matt Chandler. 2 hours long, but listen to the first hour in order to understand the answers given in the second hour.
- Advice for Young Men by John Harris
- “The New Rules for Sex, Love, and Dating” by Andy Stanley
- One Single Sex Boundary That Just Might Work — actually, it does work. Ask me if you want my story.
- “A Marriage Preparatory Inventory” by the Biblical Counseling Coalition
- The Case for Early Marriage— fascinating article in Christianity Today
- Generational impact on families and society.
More coming soon…
Authentic Manhood — tons of great stuff here
The Marks of Manhood — there are 13 listed…can you think of more?
More coming soon…
Dating, by Mark Driscoll
Here are several notes regarding the video above.
Religion Saves and Nine Other Misconceptions by Mark Driscoll has a great chapter on dating. In that chapter, Driscoll begins by explaining four kinds of relationships–three of which are acceptable for Christians, and one of which is sinful (option #3). #1 – Prearranged Marriage #2 – Courtship #3 – Non Christian Dating #4 – Christian Dating
He also gave some practical advice for single men and single women alike, and advice for men and women specifically.
Christian Dating Principles for Both Men and Women
- Maximize your singleness for God.
- Do not pursue a relationship until you are ready to marry.
- Be reasonable – do not set your expectations too high or too low.
- A date is not dating: date = time together; dating = couple (1 Tim. 5:1-2).
- Never go on a date or date a non-Christian (2 Cor. 6:14).
- Only date one person at a time.
- He initiates; she responds.
- Look at who God puts in front of you (e.g. Boaz & Ruth).
- Feel free to use technology (e.g. internet dating) wisely.
- Only invest in a relationship with someone who you are attracted to entirely (e.g. physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, ministry gifts).
- Only date someone who agrees with you on gender and family.
- Guard your heart (Prov. 4:23).
Christian Dating Questions for Men
- Are you overlooking good women (e.g. single moms, shy, divorcees)?
- Are you honoring, God, her, her family, her friends, etc.?
- Is she modest (1 Tim. 2:9)?
- Will she follow your leadership?
- Does she have noble character (Prov. 31)?
- Can you provide for the lifestyle she expects (1 Tim. 5:8)?
- Is she like the worst women in Proverbs (e.g. nag, loud, quarreling, unfaithful)?
- Do you want your daughters to be like her and your sons to marry someone like her?
Christian Dating Questions for Women
- Do you want to help him and join his course of life (Gen. 2:18; 1 Cor. 11:9)?
- Is he tough enough to remain strong in tough times (2 Tim. 2:3)?
- Will he take responsibility for you and your children (1 Cor. 11:3)?
- Is he considerate and gentle with you (1 Peter 3:7)?
- Will he be a good father (Ps. 127:3-5; Eph. 6:4)?
- Is he a one woman man (1 Tim. 3:2)?
- How valuable are you to him?
- Do you want your sons to be like him and your daughters to marry someone like him?
…as well as lust and pornography…and God’s better plan…
PERSPECTIVE and PURPOSE
Sex and the Supremacy of Christ – “Another Christian book on sex? This is so much more. We don’t need another book on how not to look at the girl in the miniskirt. We’ve read that. We don’t need another bedroom guide with chapter titles containing the word “hot.” Basically, we don’t need another book on sex that’s all about us. We need to have our gaze lifted. We need to consider the God who made us sexual creatures for his glory. This book will help you form a Christ-centered, Bible-shaped understanding of sex. This is something
we all need.” [A review by JOSHUA HARRIS, author, Sex Is Not the Problem (Lust Is)]
- What’s the purpose of Sex? — By Tim Challies
- Sexual Morality in a Christlless World by Matthew Rueger.
- This Is the Will of God by John Piper.
- “How wide the divide: sexuality at the forefront, culture at the crossroads” by author, speaker, apologist Ravi Zacharias. Profound and piercing, and the perspective we need.
- “The real root of sexual sin” article by Jon Bloom
- Covenant Eyes – “I have made a covenant with my eyes.” – Job 31:1
- XXX Church – Porn addiction recovery: essential tips for awareness, prevention and recovery
BATTLING the BROKENNESS
- “Self-Control” is essential.
- Lust Free Living – “Our goal is to teach men and women to fight spiritually for purity so that they may freely serve God.”
- Battling the Unbelief of Lust – a talk by John Piper
- 9 Ways to Fight the Temptation of Pornography
- Your Brain on Porn – a short ebook describing 5 proven ways porn warps your mind and 3 biblical ways to renew it
UNDERSTANDING the SITUATION
- Genesis Process: a biblical and neuro-chemical understanding of what is broken that causes to be self-destructive.
- How Pornography Harms by Dr. John Foubert, “The Porn Circuit: The Science of Porn Use”
- Porn Addiction in America – Selling sex is one of the oldest businesses in the world, and right now, business has never been better. In fact, many of the largest, well-known companies are actively promoting pornography. And check out these findings from a 2016 survey–these trends are not good.
- How long have you been looking at porn? This full-blown addiction to porn is spreading from computer and TV screens across America to homes, families, and marriages across the country at a dangerous space. Check out the latest stats on teens and porn.
- 7 Negative Effects of Porn – This is rather a blunt post on porn. So, proceed–or not–with caution…
- Porn-again Christian – A frank discussion on pornography and masturbation.
- Growing Up in a Porn-Saturated World. It’s way different now than it was just a generation ago.
- Porn-free Church – An ebook detailing the devastating impact of pornography as well as how to battle back from this growing epidemic.
- “With the advent of Internet technology, with its near universal reach and its promise secrecy, pornography has been weaponized…Internet pornography, after all, is downstream from a view of human sexuality that is self-focused and fruitless.” Read the rest of the article here, titled “What’s at Stake with Internet Pornography”